Denver International Airport is located in Denver, Colorado, and features the longest public-use runway in the United States. It’s also the largest airport in the United states by total land area, encompassing 34,000 acres (53 square miles). As of 2015, Denver International Airport was the 15th-busiest airport in the world and the 5th busiest in the United States.
Denver International has non-stop service to destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Europe, and Asia. It’s the main hub for carriers Frontier Airlines and Great Lakes Airlines. It’s also the fourth-largest central U.S. Hub for United Airlines, as well as the fastest growing market for Southwest Airlines.
Denver International Airport was named “America’s Best Run Airport” by Time Magazine in 2002, and readers of Business Traveler Magazine voted it “Best Airport in North America” six years in a row.
Did You Know? Interesting Facts About Denver International Airport:
- Denver International Airport is often referred to as DIA, even though it’s official IATA designation is DEN.
- Since the time of its construction, DIA has set aside a portion of its budget for the acquisition and placement of art throughout the airport.
- Among these art displays, visitors will find grotesques hiding in suitcases above the baggage claims exit doors. There are also a number of public art works on display in the underground train linking the main terminal to the concourses.
- DIA featured a computerized baggage system that was intended to revolutionize baggage handling in airports. While the goal was to reduce delays, shorten waiting times at luggage carousels, and cut labor costs, the system never actually functioned properly – in fact, it cost almost $1 million each month just to keep it operating. The system was abandoned in 2005.
- DIA uses four solar voltaic arrays to generate 16-million kilowatt hours of energy each year.
- Independent tests have concluded that the free WiFi service available throughout DIA to be among the fastest available at any U.S. Airport.
- Denver International currently has four north/south runways (35/17 Left and Right; 34/16 Left and Right) and two east/west runways (7/25 and 8/26).
- A $544 million program is underway which will add a hotel and train station to the airport’s Jeppesen terminal by the end of 2015.
- At 327 feet in height, the DIA control tower is one of the tallest in North America.
- DIA handles over 53 million passengers each year and is a major economic center for the state of Colorado, generating over $26 billion annually.
Hotel & Transit Center Construction Cam
Watch the progress of DIA’s new hotel and transit center through this cam. The center will be attached to the Jeppesen terminal and is scheduled for completion in November 2015.
Denver Civic Center and Park Webcam
A view of the center of civic life in the city of Denver. There are numerous institutions of art, government, and culture in the area, as well as numerous fountains, statues, and formal gardens.
Stapleton International Airport Webcam
View the neighborhood of Stapleton, located 15 minutes northeast of downtown Denver. The development sits on the site of the former Stapleton International Airport, which was closed in 1995.
CBS4 Local Webcams – Denver Panorama
This camera pans around the downtown Denver area.
CBS4 Local Webcams – Denver Public Library
A view of the Denver Public Library building, as well as a good vantage to observe the weather above the city.
CBS4 Local Webcams – Denver Mousetrap
The camera gives a wide view of the Denver “mousetrap,” the nickname given to the interchange of Interstate 25 and Interstate 70 in the northern part of the city.
DIA Construction Cam
Enjoy additional views of the construction of Denver International’s new transit center and hotel. This grand endeavor will add a 519 room hotel and conference center (run by Westin Hotels & Resorts) as well as access to a new commuter rail service to downtown Denver.
View DIA Construction Cam.
Airport Runway Cam Tags:
- denver airport live cam
- webcam denver airport
- denver webcams airport